Sunday, May 27, 2007

The Wake Up Call

It's Sunday, so I slept in this morning. I was laying there, somewhere between asleep and awake, when I became aware that someone was watching me.

It was my alarm clock. My four legged, tail wagging alarm clock.

Looking over the foot of the bed I saw my buddy. He was waiting patiently for "permission" to jump up on the bed with me. He always waits, for a nod, or a verbal OK. He's never been denied permission to get on the bed, in fact, he's been encouraged.

Luke came to us from his former family, as a fully trained, perfectly obedient, animal. He is comfortable around children and other animals, and responds to a number of voice commands and gestures. As a puppy, Luke was raised to be an inside dog, so he's been trained not to do things like get on furniture.
He's still very mindful of his former training, so before he jumps up on the bed, he waits patiently for special permission each and every time.

This morning, like every other, permission was granted. And once he got settled beside me, I whispered quietly in his ear; "Luke, you're a good boy". That started his tail wagging again.

Could there possibly be a better way to start the day?

No comments: