Monday, June 7, 2010

The Most Difficult Decision

The most difficult decision an animal lover has to make is to terminate the life of their pet.  You can say that ending your pets suffering is the "ultimate act of love", but I can tell you, - it sure doesn't feel that way.

I've had to do it before, and I hate the thought of doing it again.  I've loved all my dogs, but I really love this one. 

My Luke is now unable to walk at all.  He can only stand for a few seconds before collapsing, and must be carried.  We give him medicine daily to control any pain.  It makes him groggy, and I know he doesn't feel well.  He hasn't wagged his tail in a long, long time. 

I've learned one thing about Luke recently that I wished I'd known sooner.  He enjoys vanilla ice cream.  I think he likes the sweet flavor, and the cold probably feels good in his mouth.   It makes me feel good to know I can do something that gives him pleasure.

No comments: